Friday, March 11, 2011

What I've been up to

Holly and I left early Thursday morning to go to Louisiana to celebrate Mardi Gras and what a great trip it was. The trip down we were entertained by Mr. Bear. He so kindly danced and told bad jokes. He also gave the bear butt to the rude drivers around us.
Friday we went out to eat several times so that Holly could experience all of amazing food that Louisiana has to offer. We had lunch at Peck's seafood where we ate boiled crawfish, fried pickles, and roast beef po-boys. After our huge lunch we headed to the Abita Brewery for free beer and a tour of the brewery. Then we had dinner at Shaeffer's with mom where Holly had seafood gumbo and a stuffed crab po-boy and I had salad and a stuffed crab po-boy. Then we went off to meet my crazy friends from high school and watch Selene, a night parade that rides in my home town.

Saturday all of the New Orleans parades we had been planning on seeing were cancelled due to weather. So, we went outlet mall shopping in Gulfport instead. Then Saturday night I took Holly to the drive through daiquiri shop. Gotta love the south!
Sunday we went into New Orleans where we started our day on Bourbon St. at Pat O's with hurricanes. Then we went to Jackson Square and watched a performance and then went to Central Grocery to get muffalettas. We walked down by the river to eat them and then walked towards the French Market and picked up some daiquiris. After wandering the French Market and some of the art galleries on the French Quarter we headed back to Bourbon for hand grenades from Tropical Isle. After we walked Bourbon Street we headed home to Slidell to sleep off our eventful trip. Monday we recuperated so that we could have one last hurrah on Mardi Gras.

Tuesday we met Michelle and Ginny and headed out to Metairie for the Mardi Gras parades there. We got to see Argus and Jefferson roll. We didn't stay to watch the East Jeffersonian roll because we opted to leave early.
Wednesday we headed home in a huge storm. We managed to get ahead of it for a while, but we didn't stay ahead of it. We ended up driving through the rain all the way from Mobile, AL to just past the SC state line. It was freaking miserable. We ended up taking like 16 hours to make the 13.5 hour drive. Luckily we got home around 10p so I was able to pick up the puppies. Then I came home and immediately passed out.

Thursday was our 4th wedding anniversary. I wish that Andrew could have been here to spend it with me, but since he couldn't my wonderful friends stepped in. We went out to a sushi lunch. Then we went to Gus' for line dance lessons and lots of drinking. It was the best anniversary I could have had without the hubby there.

Today marks 2 months down in this stupid deployment. I'm spending it in my pj's until I head to knit night tonight with the girls.

No comments: