Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Liquid Laundry Detergent

I decided that since I had run out of laundry detergent that I was going to make my own. I got the recipe from a friend who has made it before and set to work today. It was actually way easier that I thought it was going to be. I only had one little mishap which I was nice enough to take a picture of so you can laugh at me!
Everything you need. I used a tidy cats bucket as a 5 gallon bucket because hey it was free and on hand. I made sure to wash it well. You'll also need an old detergent container, washing soda, borax, and a bar of soap. The recipe calls for a specific kind but I just used Dial hypoallergenic soap.

The ingredients. Washing Soda, Borax, Soap

Step one: Grate the soap. I used the really small side of my grater.

Step two: Heat the soap in 4 cups of water over a medium-low heat until the soap is completely melted.


Step Three: Fill your 5 gallon bucket halfway with hot tap water. This is where my oops came in. See the water spraying with no hands. I taped it. I figured 2.5 gallons of water that'll take a while. Well I didn't count on the sprayer slipping off the side of the bucket and spraying me and the dog.


Step Four: Measure out one cup of washing soda and add to the half full bucket.

Step Five: Measure out half a cup of Borax and add to the bucket.
Step Six: Stir in soap mixture. Mix until the powder is dissolved.
Step Seven: Fill the bucket the rest of the way up and let set over night.
Step Eight: Fill detergent container half full of the concentrate and the rest of the way with water. Shake container before each use.


Me after encountering the sprayer of doom.

Shadow being very unamused that she got soaked.

Liquid Laundry Detergent Recipe

4 cups hot tap water
1 Fels-Naptha Soap Bar (I couldn't find this so I used Dial you can also use Ivory)
1 cup washing soda
1/2 c borax

Grate bar of soap and add to saucepan with water. Stir continually over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is completely melted.

Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of hot tap water. Add melted soap, washing soda and Borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved.

Fill bucket to top with more hot water. Stir, Cover and let sit overnight to thicken.

Stir and fill a used, clean laundry soap dispenser half full of soap and then fill rest of the way with water.

Shake well before each use (will gel) MAKES 10 GALLONS (5 gallons concentrated, 10 gallons once you do the half/half with water)

FOR A TOP LOADER: Use 5/8 cup per load (approx 180 loads)

FOR A FRONT LOADER: Use 1/4 cup per load (approx 640 loads)

THIS IS SAFE FOR CLOTH DIAPERS.

5 comments:

Colleen Jeanne said...

Where did you find the borax and washing soda for it? I want to make it but havent looked around town yet!

Young Love said...

I found them at the New River commissary. I also looked at the Lejeune commissary, but they didn't have any.

Emmers said...

I've seen Borax at the regular commissary!

Does it work well?? I want to try this! I just happen to have an empty tidy cats thing :-p

Colleen Jeanne said...

Oh Ill pick some up during my next shopping trip to New River (I shop there instead of LeJeune, its way calmer!)

Young Love said...

So far it's working great. You just have to really shake the container before you use it for each wash.