Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Let him eat cake

So, I sent Andrew red velvet cake in a jar for his birthday. Now he is requesting cake with every package! (Not happening love!) Anyway I figured that Easter is coming up and I've been wanting to make these rainbow cakes so I figure hey rainbow cake in a jar for Easter!

I cheated and used a yellow cake mix instead of making it from scratch.

Then I sectioned it into 4 bowls and mixed in lots of food coloring.

After I mixed in the food coloring I realized I had forgotten to wash the canning jars. (oops!!) So, I washed and dried the canning jars.

When I make cake in a jar I always put them in a 9x13 pan to make them easier to handle. I know in this picture there are 8 jars, but I ended up only making 6. I also preheated the oven to 325 degrees.

Next I filled each jar one color at a time. I used a little more than 1/8th of a cup of each color in each jar. I thought that each color would spread to touch the sides of the jars, but they didn't.

My filled jars. It's amazing how much the cake expands in the jar.

At this point I realized I forgot to put water on to boil so that I could boil the lids and rings. (Oops again!) Anyway bring the water to a boil then turn it down to low.

Once you turn it down put in the lids and rings. I just let them simmer while the cake bakes. I ended up baking these for about 30-35 minutes. I used a bamboo skewer to do the toothpick test. Once it came out clean I knew they were done.

Take your cakes out of the oven. Use tongs to carefully remove lids and rings from the pot with the water and place them on the jars. Finger tighten lids so they are just screwed on. Let the jars sit over night to seal then finish tightening rings. Once they are sealed they'll keep just like canned goods. So, in this case long enough to make it to Afghanistan in a care package. I guarantee you they don't last much longer than that. I don't think Andrew waits at all to open and eat them.

4 comments:

Emmers said...

I'm totally going to want your help in making these the first time I do it, pleeeeease!

Andrea said...

I'm offering my services. If any didn't seal and you need to get rid of them before you go, I will ever-so-graciously take them off your hands.

In all seriousness though, they look super cool. They turned out really great!

Colleen Jeanne said...

They turned out super cute...time consuming though right? Maybe it wasn't as bad as when I made the cupcakes because we made over 30 but they are so cute that it didn't matter that they took so long lol

I made spice cake ones for Kale and he said they were to die for...but told me not to send anymore because hes "on a diet" lol

Young Love said...

Emily I'll help you if you need it. They're really not hard to make.

Andrea nope if they don't seal they're coming with us!

Colleen, you're right it was time consuming. I probably won't do multi-colored cakes again.