Monday, May 2, 2011

Mixed emotions

When I heard the news last night via text message my initial reaction was disbelief. I mean could they really have found him. Once I turned on the news stations and realized the news was true I began to rejoice. I even called and woke my mom up just to have someone to share it with (sorry Mom!) Finally there will be a very small amount of closure for the families of the victims of 9/11. Hopefully this will be the beginning of the end of this chapter in American history.

My second reaction was to pray for our troops. While I realize that Osama is dead this does not change that we are still at war with terrorists. Then the what ifs set in. What if they retaliate. Did this just make it even more dangerous for my husband and the rest of the men and women serving overseas? What will life be like for them in Afghanistan now? I was reading yesterday in the news that the Taliban is launching their Spring Offensive. Does this mean they're going to step it up even more? I'm worried for my husband who isn't even a third of the way through his deployment yet. I worry for the other men and women who are bravely serving overseas with him. I also pray for those who have already lost someone in this war because freedom does come at a price and hopefully this will not cause the price to be even higher.

No comments: