Friday, April 27, 2012

Finished Object Friday! Schieffelin Point Shawl

I've decided (and hopefully will keep up with) posting one of my finished projects every Friday. I love love love knitting and crocheting and while I share pictures all the time. I think it would be fun to blog about the process for each project that I try!

This is my Schieffelin Point Shawl done in Savannah yarn. I absolutely loved the pattern when my local knit shop picked it out for the April knit along. As I started knitting it though I started to second guess myself. I had decided to stripe it since it looked very plain with all the garter stitch. After I started knitting I decided I hated it and would most likely give it away. I thought the stripes looked like a bumble bee and it wasn't fun. Then I got to the lace edge. I got all excited because I was certain that this would turn my perspective on this shawl around. Boy was I wront. I still wasn't in love with it. Once it was done and off my needles I thought maybe I could live with my finished project. It wasn't until I laid it all out and gave a good wet blocking that I fell in love. Blocking stretched the stripes so it looked less like a bumble bee and it gave really good definition to the lace edge. It became drapey (which is totally a word) and so soft. It's definitely a perfect spring time shawl. Now if only we would have some spring time like weather so I could enjoy wearing it! 

 Starting my shawl at knit night

 Most of the way through the stripes. It's definitely looking like a bee. 

 Starting the lace edge. Maybe I'll love it after all. 

 Finished and unblocked. It's got a 2.5 foot wingspan. 

 Being blocked. It grew to over 4 feet! 

Done and waiting for slightly cool weather! 

No comments: